Friday, December 31, 2010

This ending.

I've experienced relatively few endings in my life. Fifteen years haven't offered time for much to end at all. But, today is one of those few. When the sun disappears today, I'll only ever see it again if this year ends, and end it shall. So, as this year closes, what books shall I close, what memories shall I forget, and what deeds will forever be done. Where am I hoping for the suns rays to touch for the last time tonight? What am I going to cut so that newness can rise up tomorrow?

This is all to say that I would like to live simply. I want to figure out myself the way every other generation has. I want to rid myself of distraction, and make my way towards being the well-rounded man, who is physically, mentally, and spiritually able to deal with every obstacle. That requires change, and to make room for new processes, one must rid themself of the old.

Here is my list of departures...
...my ipod touch...This is for purposes of petty games and pointless browsing... ipod nano is being reawakened.
...the computer I own being in my room...I could spend hours of time on this sucker sitting at my desk, not so much at my kitchen table.
...texting...One of the more difficult departures, but how can I expect to focus on simplicity if I buzz so often I can't see straight. Call me, or write me a letter.
...facebook...The curse of this generation, I've spent 25% of my year on it. Thats disgusting.

So, sometimes it seems like making commitments is easy, when they're alone in your head, but then again those fail. These are commitments that will last, at least until 2012, because I am now announcing them to you all.
Please keep me accountable.
I will discuss my new beginnings tomorrow.
Thank you.
Andrew

2 comments:

  1. This was written, rather "Thomas Jefferson" style. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you hadn't have used the smiley I would've thought you were mad at me... Good thing you did.

    ReplyDelete