Saturday, January 1, 2011

And then perhaps... New beginnings.

So, today is the new beginning. Its the grand year of two thousand and eleven. I'm quite excited. Yesterday, I wrote down the names of a few items I was going to attempt to get rid of, and get rid of them I have. In fact, today I have hardly known what to do with myself. That is where my resolutions come in. They're rather small to be honest, but I want them to be achievable. Except for one, they also are not to be vague. I want numbers and time frames with results that can be measured. This is opposed to "doing better" or "trying harder"... which are incredibly worthless ways to determine a goal. Also, I've decided to try not to dub these as mere "goals", they are resolutions. The word resolution inspires a bit of awe in me, because it has its roots in the "resolve" of man. It defies the fickle, second-guessing nature of all of us by making a determination, a near certainty. So, in myself, I have thus resolved to attain these goals within one years time. I am resolved.

My first goal might seem a bit petty, but it is a necessity for the success of all the others. My room must be (and will be) successfully maintained. My reasoning is that without a determined effort to maintain the details, how can one achieve grand goals, that are built solely on details such as these?

My second goal regards writing. This blog might even find itself somewhere under this umbrella. I have recently found myself writing in moleskine journals. They are fantastic for thought and the penning of ideas. Much of this blog is copied letter for letter from those entries. So, I resolve to complete two moleskines of approximately one hundred and twenty pages, writing on one side. This will be completed by December 31.

My third and fourth goals are designed to improve my knowledge and sources of conversation. They are also for pleasure. I will read one book solely for the purpose of an increase in knowledge every two months and I will read one other book a month, perhaps from classic literature or for pleasure, or maybe even both.

My fifth goal is my personal favorite. I wish to send a letter a week. Letterwriting is a process long forgotten, and I hope to revive it, especially since I have lost other forms of communication recently. I can only imagine what it would be like to recieve a letter myself, so sending them will be even more fun.

My sixth goal is actually the worst of them all, and the most typical. But I would like to work out. Specifically finish the work out progamme P90x. Its ninety days and if I can finish it by December the 31st in its entirety, I will be very proud.

Then, lastly, is my seventh goal. It is the goal that is vague, but nonetheless more challenging for its vagueness. In all things, I pray to live passionately, humbly, and honestly, never forgetting my hope, and always keeping the faith. I hope to stay strong in the simplicity of a real life, by daily pursuing nothing less than the cross. Through this, I will be a man. That is the purest of all my dreams, all my goals, all my resolutions.

After having shared these with you all, I hope you will find your own resolutions.
Thank you.
-Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment